Emily Guido, who has been a wonderful supporter of this blog, has honored me with a new blog award. This one is the Fabulous Blog Ribbon.
Emily is the author of the Light-Bearer Series and I was delighted to hear that she’s just signed a deal with PDMI Publishing. Her blog is in the process of moving over to its new home at http://authoremilyguido.com. If you’re into paranormal romance, be sure to bookmark her page so you can learn about this exciting series.
Having received the Fabulous Blog Award, I need to tell you about five fabulous moments, five things I love, five things I hate, and five blogs you should check out.
Five Fabulous Moments
- Holding each of my daughters for the first time. Admittedly, this is really two moments, but they were both equally fabulous. Nothing else even comes close.
- Receiving contributor copies of the August 2001 issue of Realms of Fantasy Magazine. Not only did it include my first professional sale, it was illustrated by the brilliant Mark Harrison and my name was on the cover between Harlan Ellison and Alan Dean Foster.
- Spending a day with Ray Bradbury when I was 16. The highlight of the day was when I told him about a story I had written and he looked at me and said, “Send your story to a magazine now!” I have been sending my stories to publishers ever since.
- Performing in Brigadoon during my senior year at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology. I got to sing, dance, speak in a Scottish accent, and wear a kilt on stage. It was absolutely exhilarating, especially when I drew laughs and cheers for my performance.
- Returning to that same stage exactly twenty years later as a professional science fiction writer alongside people I admire, including Nichelle Nichols from Star Trek, Walter Jon Williams, S.M. Stirling, and Jane Lindskold. How many times do you get to return to your alma mater and see your name in lights? That was truly exciting!
Five Things I Love
- My two daughters. They are brilliant and beautiful. Truly they are my greatest inspiration.
- My wife, Kumie. She also is brilliant and beautiful, and strong, too. She keeps me in line and its her faith in me that keeps me going even in the darkest of times.
- Chile peppers. I absolutely adore flavorful and spicy food.
- Chocolate. I’m especially fond of dark chocolate and I even like it when you mix it with chile. One of my favorite foods is chicken molé, which is chicken in a rich sauce of chocolate and chile. I’m getting hungry just thinking about it!
- I love writing—especially that transcendent moment when I no longer feel like I’m sitting behind a computer typing on keys, but feel like I’m experiencing a set of events and relaying them as they’re happening.
Five Things I hate
- Being sick. Not only do I feel miserable when I’m sick, but I often lose precious writing time. The last time I was sick, I had so little energy, I couldn’t even read. That was horrible!
- Irrationality. That’s a catch-all for everything from prejudice to people who simply won’t consider the opposing side in a debate. We have far too much of this today and it drives me crazy.
- Being trapped. At one time or another, I’ve been stuck in a broken elevator, stranded alongside the road in a car that has broken down, or otherwise felt like my freedom was severely limited for some reason. To me, being trapped is a terrible sensation.
- Writing rejection letters. This is a necessity as an editor of short fiction but as a writer, I know how it feels to receive a rejection. I’ve received enough now that the sting is pretty minimal, but it’s still there. The problem is, not hearing a response is even worse. Still, I find the process of writing rejection letters one of the most draining and difficult things I do.
- Olives. As I’ve grown older, my tastes have matured and I’ve learned to like a lot of things I hated as a kid—not the least of which are Brussels Sprouts. But for some reason, I have just never warmed up to olives. (I do like olive oil, though. Go figure!)
Five Blogs You Should Check Out
- http://wyrmflight.wordpress.com – a blog for dragon lovers.
- http://dabofdarkness.com/ – reviews of books and audiobooks, plus book discussion.
- http://ginikoch.blogspot.com/ – my favorite red-headed cowgirl and a darned good writer.
- http://mrockwell.livejournal.com/ – talented poet and novelist, Marsheila Rockwell.
- http://skywarriorbooks.blogspot.com/ – one of my favorite publishers and many good tips for writers.