Only one week to go until TusCon 39, a great little science fiction, fantasy, and horror convention in Tucson, Arizona. It will be held from November 9-11, 2012 at the Hotel CityCenter in Tucson, Arizona. The Guest of Honor of S.M. Stirling. The Toastmaster is Ed Bryant and I will be the Fan Guest of Honor. You can learn more about the convention at: http://www.tusconscificon.com/index.html
As it turns out, I have attended most of the TusCons for the last eighteen years. That first TusCon was during my original tenure operating telescopes at Kitt Peak National Observatory. My wife Kumie was in Graduate School at the University of Arizona and we bought a dealer’s table to market cassette tapes of my novel The Pirates of Sufiro as read by fellow members of the Kitt Peak staff. Since that time, I’ve published seven novels, approximately 60 short stories, and started Hadrosaur Tales Magazine, which became Tales of the Talisman. It’s kind of wild just to look back on that road and think about it. Still, I am first and foremost a fan of good science fiction, fantasy and horror and I’m honored to be this year’s fan guest of honor.
Without further ado, here’s my schedule for TusCon 39. It looks like a great one! The complete schedule is available at: http://www.tusconscificon.com/public_html/content/schedule.html
Friday, November 9
- 7-9pm – Copper Room – Mingle With the Guests. You can be sure I’ll be there for Ed Bryant’s opening remarks, the chance to mingle, and what would TusCon be without stuffed potato skins?
- 9-10pm – St. Augustine Room – Getting inspired and finding your unique voice as an artist/ writer. On this panel with me are Chris Dickenson, Weston Ochse, John Vornholt, and Gloria McMillan
Saturday, November 10
- 10-11am – Copper Room – A Steampunk Primer: We’ve All heard the phrase “steampunk” but what is it? Anna Paradox and Bruce C. Davis will join me on this panel.
- 1-2pm – St. Augustine Room – Paranormal Steampunk: Why do Paranormal and steampunk work so well together? Bennie Grezlik, Jill Knowles and Cynthia Ward will be on this panel with me.
- 2-3pm – Copper Room – Hour with David Lee Summers FGOH.
- 3-4pm – Copper Room – Mass Autograph Session
- Look around for signs announcing the annual David Lee Summers/Marty Massoglia Birthday Bash (or just ask us!) This is the rare year that our birthdays actually don’t happen at TusCon, but the party has become a tradition, so it will go forward!
- 8-9pm – St. Augustine Room – 50 Shades of Greyskull, erotic literature is going mainstream, will speculative fiction ride the wave or is it already ahead of the curve? Jill Knowles joins Mr. and Ms. Summers for this panel.
- Midnight-1am – St. Augustine Room – Infinite diversity in infinite combination, would you let your daughter marry a- I’m on this panel with Kate Daniel, Bennie Grezlik, Bruce Davis, and Bruce Wiley
Sunday, November 11
- 10-11am – Silver Room – Married Couples, why are they so rare as heroes? On the panel with me are Yvonne Navarro, Thomas Watson and Cynthia Ward.
- Noon-they kick us out or they start serving chili, whichever comes first – Garden Room – Reading from Dragon’s Fall Rise of the Scarlet Order. In fact, I’ll probably read from a few different things including my new novel.
As usual, if I’m not on a panel or other event, you’ll likely find me at the Hadrosaur Productions dealer’s table. Hope to see you at TusCon!