Bubonicon, Albuquerque, New Mexico’s premier science fiction convention is happening earlier than normal this year. It will be held from August 1-3 at the Albuquerque Marriott Uptown. The guests of honor are Jack Campbell, Cherie Priest, and Darla Hallmark. Stephen Gould will serve as toastmaster. You can find more details at bubonicon.com. When I’m not on a panel, I’ll likely be manning my table in the dealer’s room. On Sunday, I’ll be helping with the Author’s Tea. My panel schedule is as follows:
Friday, August 1
- 4pm – Salon E – It’s All SF: Sci Fi & Southwestern Fiction. Why are so many Southwestern writers drawn to SF and Fantasy? Are there distinctly Southwestern themes that appear in their works? What is the tradition of Southwestern SF they draw upon (Williamson, Zelazny, Burroughs, etc)? In what ways are SF and Southwestern literature not only compatible but natural allies? Are many desert-themed SF stories just cowboy tales on other worlds? On the panel with me are Jeff Kennedy, T. Jackson King, Laura J. Mixon, and Walter Jon Williams.
Saturday, August 2
- 4pm – Salon E – What Scares You Now? Are there changes in society over the years that are reflected in today’s Horror villains? Do the appearances of hero vampires or werewolves indicate a more tolerant society? Or are they just part of the natural evolution of the genre? Why are werewolves, vampires, witches and zombies still popular? Are there any new monsters about to take center stage? Also on the panel are Cherie Priest, Scott Phillips, Joan Saberhagen, and Craig A. Butler.
Sunday, August 3
- 10am – Santa Fe – 55 Minutes With David Lee Summers. I’ll be reading from my novels Lightning Wolves and Dragon’s Fall: Rise of the Scarlet Order.
- 12:30pm – Salon E – The Weird Weird West: SF With Six Guns. Blending gunslingers with other genres has been done from Stephen King’s Dark Tower (Gunslinger) series to some Steampunk to Firefly. What fascinates us about the Western, and why is it so much fun to mix it with something else? What works have succeeded? What is the secret to making a mix work? Also on the panel are Craig A. Butler, Josh Gentry, Walter Jon Williams, and John Maddox Roberts.
- 3:30pm – Salon E – She’s My TARDIS Except She’s a Woman. The TARDIS, Serenity, the Enterprise, KITT, the Heart of Gold, the Millennium Falcon, Andromeda, Red Dwarf’s Holly, 2001’s HAL…the iconic vehicles of sci-fi can also be seen as characters and companions in their own right. Humans sometimes have a unique bond and a tendency toward personification with their modes of transportation: what happens when we do give them minds and voices of their own? Are we headed there in a future of self-driving cars? Should we fear Maximum Overdrive? On the panel with me are Claire Eddy, M.T. Reiten, Connie Willis, and Jack Campbell
I’ll close out today’s post with a reminder. The Smashwords sale on Sky Warrior Books titles ends in just a few days, on July 31. Hurry if you want to get either Owl Dance or Lightning Wolves at half off. Just remember to enter the code SSW50 on checkout.
Owl Dance is available at:
Lightning Wolves is available at: